Friday, June 18, 2010

below the surface thoughts #2, on corsetry and below-the-surface-ness

Gregor Reisch, (c. 1467-1525), Margarita
Philosophica. 


the harmful effects of the corset, from la vie normale et la sante


Elisabeth (Sisi) of Bavaria, 1837-1898, Empress of Austria, etc after she married Francis Joseph I in 1854 (this 1865 painting by Franz Xaver Winterhalter).  another one of those tragic stories of women who should not have had to deal with becoming royalty...i.e. the stiff and oppressive viennese court, personal issues...

a note on that - The Reluctant Empress: Elisabeth of Austria is a very good book. a very good book...did i mention that it is a very good book?


I never saw a purple cow;
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you anyhow;
I'd rather see than be one!

No comments:

Post a Comment