Monday, January 31, 2011

black swan - the good

I saw Black Swan a few weeks ago, and there's no doubt that it's a very well done (and trippy!) film.  I am not exactly a scary movie person, though, and it totally freaked me out (OMG, like, do I sound like a total valley girl right now?).  I probably won't ever want to see the movie again, but there are some great (visual) aspects to it that make me want to go back to it!

1. Costume design by Rodarte.  To clear some things up, this was a collaboration with costume designer Amy Westcott - Rodarte was only really involved with 7 pieces.  I write "costume design by Rodarte" only because the few pieces that I really liked happened to be by Rodarte.  An interesting interview with Amy Westcott here.

My favorite piece was the dress that Natalie Portman wears to the toasting/party; the back was exquisite! Unfortunately I can't find an actual picture of it, at the moment.


I also loved the ballet costumes...although I feel like a lot of ballet costumes look very similar!  Love this shot, though - 


and this sketch of the black swan costume -



2. Gorgeous promo posters by Empire, the handmade likes of which I have not seen in a very long time, if ever!  The first and last ones are my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment