Monday, September 27, 2010

in the mood for food - biscuit day

I don't know what's up with me and my obsession with food lately.  Seriously.  It's more overpowering than, say, my desire to own a Vespa.  So this morning, instead of writing my art history essay comparing an original painting with its reproduction on postcard (and how reproduction changes the meaning of art...), I was looking up different recipes online.  See, a computer is a dangerous thing.

I wanted to make some real bread, and then realized that I would either have to deal with the hassle of yeast, and kneading, or buy some buttermilk, which is entirely useless for purposes other than baking bread-y type stuff (in my opinion).

The winner - biscuits (the american kind).  such comfort food.  and it uses so few ingredients (although I did end up having to go out and buy some baking powder).

Drop Biscuits:
1 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup milk (or more if needed)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Measure flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add butter to bowl and rub butter into flour with your fingers or a fork. Add milk to make a thick batter, stirring only until dough sticks together. Drop by teaspoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes.

makes 9

I ended up making two batches - 9 weeny little biscuits just aren't enough.


And this is all that's left.  Yes, that's right.  Of the biscuits consumed today I must have been responsible for at seven or eight of them.  Well - they're best hot out of the oven, anyway!

I think I'll make more biscuits next weekend.  Or something else.  Maybe I'll have enough time to make more than one thing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment