Tuesday, May 4, 2010

girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes...

...and red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach....and white cotton....

Anyway, enough with the quoting of song lyrics.  Have I mentioned that I love white dresses? No, it's not wedding dresses in particular that I'm fond of (although they are awesome in their own right, and I love Vera Wang).

It's just the thought of clean white dresses in general.

At my high school graduation all the girls wore white dresses, and although I was admittedly a little bummed about not getting to wear a cap and gown, everything turned out beautifully.  (i'll just wait till i graduate from uni for that, which will be plenty since i'm pretty sure the cap would look horrible on me).  i ended up making my dress:

oh summer dresses.  they are so pretty.

and then we have white dresses in the more historical/literary/romantic/whatever-else-that-is-not-directly-related-to-contemporary-fashion-tastes context.

In The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald described a scene in which "the only completely stationary object in the room was an enormous couch on which two young women were buoyed up as though upon an anchored balloon.  They were both in white, and their dresses were rippling and fluttering as if they had just been blown back in after a short flight around the house...Then there was a boom as Tom Buchanan shut the rear windows and the caught wind died out about the room, and the curtains and the rugs and the two young women ballooned slowly to the floor."

It's a beautiful passage, and i could go on and on about the fantastic prose of Fitzgerald (drool...), but back to the subject, it sums up perfectly what I visualize when I think of white dresses - white flutters and the green of summer.  I have yet to see The Great Gatsby movie, with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.


There are, of course, the stiff but beautiful Victorian whites in movies such as Anne of Green Gables and A Room with a View (obviously the ones in which the lace/ruffles goddess didn't have too much of a field day with the trims).


...and the classic, empire-waisted whites of Pride and Prejudice and all those other Jane Austen movies, although I don't necessarily associate them with rolling green hills or the like.

Finally, before I get too distracted and avoid doing all my homework, there's the new movie coming out, Princess Kaiulani.  I think at least part of the movie will have its share of white! (so excited!)

No comments:

Post a Comment